Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Movies.

There are some movies coming out this summer that I'm really "jazzed" about. Obviously, they are X-Men 3 and Superman Returns. I also wanted to see The Da Vinci Code but after reading this from Reuters, I think I'll pass:
At a screening late on Tuesday in Cannes, members of the audience laughed at the thriller's pivotal moment, and the end of the $125 million picture was greeted with stony silence.
I also want to see United 93, but I'm not going to pay money for that. I don't think it's right that the movie company and movie theaters are profiting on this tragedy. If they were making this movie because "the passenger's story must be told," then the theaters and movie company would donate all the profits, after taxes, to a charity (like what Paul Newman does). I know, I know. "What makes a movie about this tragedy any worse than a movie about any other tragedy?" I don't have a good answer for that. The events on Sept. 11 were a little more personal to me than the Rwandan genocide, for example. It's terrible to say, I know, but I guess I am still a product of my American culture.

No comments: