Sunday, June 04, 2006

Useful information.

This is really cool. I was Stumbling last night and I came across this webpage. If you are broke, you can still feed your family of 4 for $45 a week. That's amazing, considering Becky and I spend about $150 a week on food. Of course, we don't buy just the "essentials".

Also, to help out you poor schlubs even more, here's some more useful information. The best credit card I've come across is the AT&T Cash Rewards Credit Card. The problem is that they are canceling that card in July. I've been doing some searching and it looks like the next best card is either the AT&T Universal Rewards Card or the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Credit Card.

The Citi Dividend card is good because you get 5% cash back when you buy things from grocery stores, gas stations, or drugstores and 1% back everywhere else. The best part is that they actually send you a check. The bad part is that you have a cash back limit of $300 which averages out to one $50 check every 2 months.

The AT&T Rewards card is probably slightly better and is the card I'm getting to replace the AT&T Cash Rewards card that I currently have. The cool stuff about it is that you get 30 minutes of prepaid phone minutes each month, 2 free directory assistance inquires each month, free wireless phone loss and theft insurance no matter who your carrier is (good if you have an expensive cell phone), 5% rebate on purchases from grocery stores, gas stations, and drug stores; and a 1% rebate everywhere else. You also get a $100 gift card after your first purchase with this card. The drawback is that your rebates can only be applied to gift cards at pretty expensive stores, although Target and Home Depot are on the list. You can cash in your rebate points for an actual check, but it costs you $75 worth of rebates to get a $50 check. Anyway, since Becky and I shop at Target all the time, this is a good card for me. I'd still rather have cash back, but getting a gift card I know I'm going to use at a store I shop at anyway is fine too.

Oh, if you are one of the estimated 17% of the U.S. population that carries a credit card balance, this credit card information probably doesn't apply to you. I'm sure there are cards with a much lower interest rate than what these cards offer.

No comments: