Monday, July 07, 2008

The First Weekend in Oulu.

We made it to Oulu! Our bags arrived the next morning though.

Our first few days here have been great. A friend of Raine's is letting us borrow a bunch of furniture and dishes, so our apartment (which is pretty big, by the way) is much more comfortable now.

On Friday we went to the Rotuaari Piknik, where they block off the walking street downtown and set up a stage to have some bands play. I was an idiot and decided that I would be fine in just jeans and a t-shirt. Well, it got cold pretty quick and I ended up going to the nearby department store and buying a jacket. I actually got a really nice fleece Columbia jacket for 40% off and I'm wearing it all the time now! After that we headed to my favorite bar in Oulu, 45 Special. It's a bar that plays nothing but rock music. The "basement" plays some older music like The Cure, Nirvana, Van Halen, etc. The middle floor, where you enter, is just a sitting area with a bar. The top floor has either a live band or plays more modern rock like Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Fall Out Boy, etc.

Last night, we tried out the sauna. It was really nice and relaxing. I'm really glad that we have one in our apartment.

As for work, Heikki doesn't officially return from vacation until next week, but I plan on going in to so some stuff before then. I have to revise my final dissertation paper so that I can resubmit it and I'm hoping I can finish that before I start something new.

1 comment:

Sarah Marie said...

I love multi-level bars! I've only ever been to one in Europe.

Good luck with your work!