Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Joss Whedon

I'm starting to become a fan of Joss Whedon. After Becky started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, she became a fan. I remember watching a couple of Buffy episodes when it was on tv, I even tried a couple of Angel episodes, but I never got hooked.

Years later I saw the movie Serenity. It was a continuation of the canceled show Firefly, which I hadn't seen at that point. Even without knowing anything about the preceding show, I ended up really liking that movie. Becky and I watched Firefly within the last year, and I ended up really enjoying it. The last episode definitely left me wanting to see what was going to happen next.

Also within the last year, I borrowed Whedon's The Astonishing X-Men (Vol. 1) from the library. It was a good read. I think I liked it because I already knew the characters and their back story so I didn't have to invest so much time into finding out who they were and what they were about. Instead, I was just able to just follow the current story arc. Whedon's writing was definitely good and unique. His campy humor was evident even in the X-men. A couple of weeks ago I read volume 2 and it was incredible. It was one of the best stories I've read in a long time.

Anyway, the point of this blog is that I'm actually excited about how Whedon's next project is going to play out. It's a tv show called Dollhouse. The premise of the show sounds good, but I'm more interested in watching how the show's characters develop. I think Whedon does a good job in making his characters three dimensional and letting them evolve, which is a far cry from the character development I've seen in Smallville for example.

I just hope Dollhouse has the same kind of success as Buffy did and doesn't get cut short like Firefly.

Here's the trailer:

No comments: